Friday 21 February 2014

Project Evaluation.

The Practice Unit has been a massive learning curve for me, and being such a long project, it has been interesting to see how myself and my work have developed overtime.
I have learnt a great deal about my working process and how to approach a project, something that I always felt slightly lost with in previous projects in level 4 and 5.
Drawing is a huge part of my process, and is something I felt was lost in previous units, therefore I don't think those projects developed enough, simply because I had not allowed myself enough time to draw.
With this project being so long I have felt more comfortable spending time drawing before jumping into the print room to create samples. I feel that drawing has been instrumental to the development of this project and my prints designs.
Colour use is something that I was struggling with at the beginning of the unit, and I was unsure how to develop a full palette and how to start creating one in the first place. I really wanted to develop my ability with colour, as it is obviously an important part of the design process. Through completing tasks to create colour boards throughout the unit, I feel that my confidence with colour has developed substantially, allowing me to go on to complete two colour collections.
I feel that I've really found my style of working within this project, and I'm pleased with the samples and outcomes that I have been able to create in the print room, which is again an instrumental part of my process. Having previously done a series of solely digital projects, I missed the hands on nature of screen print, and now know that screen print is definitely where my strong points lie especially in terms of translating the qualities achieved within my drawings.
With such an influence on context during this project I've thought seriously about where my work would fit, especially in terms of market level. I initially thought I wanted to work across multiple market levels, however through working to live briefs such as sofa.com, I have realised that my style is a lot more suited to the higher end of the market.
In terms of Unit X, I would like to continue to develop my latest collection in the print room, thinking about how I can introduce the element of collage into my printed textiles, possibly in terms of embellishment or embroidery. This would then cater further to the high end market, with more detailed elements to add to the quality of the design, and would also expand my portfolio further. Currently this collection has been aimed at bedding, but within Unit X I would like to push it to other interior products such as wallpaper and upholstery.

No comments:

Post a Comment