Wednesday 19 March 2014

Print Preparation.

On receiving feedback from the Practice unit, I felt it important to get straight back into the workshops. As I am carrying on with the last collection from the Practice unit to create a selection of prints from, I already had all the visual research and drawing available for me to create some screen designs.
I decided the best way to represent the collage I've been creating within my drawings through print, would be by using colour separations. This would allow me to use different pigments and binders on each layer to achieve different textures and surfaces.




I have been working with dying my fabrics, as my previous two printed collections were mainly on white and cream, I felt it important to create a collection of samples that are printed onto coloured backgrounds. Experimenting with creating different shades of grey on silk georgette and medium habotai, I want this collection to be a lot lighter and softer with both colours and fabric choices.




I felt it important at this stage to be quite vigorous with my colour matching with the pigments, as I know through experimenting on photoshop and illustrator, how the colours work together and found if one shade was wrong, the whole palette was offset.
I tested my screens and pigments, I was happy with how the colours had turned out, and think they have come out fairly true to the original colour in my palette. The screens also all fitted together and I feel that the collage effect will be able to work well using the different layers, it will just be a case of experimenting and playing around with different surfaces and textures.


It was mentioned within previous tutorial sessions, about adding embroidery to some of the print samples to add another layer of collage. It was suggested I looked into getting inducted onto the 12 needle and the Irish machine. This week I got inducted onto both machines and had chance to create a couple of samples.
I originally preferred the Irish embroidery as it is more textural, however after comparing with the 12 needle machine, I feel perhaps the 12 needle would be more suited due to its precise nature, which I think is more in keeping with the cut out shapes I have used within my print designs.

No comments:

Post a Comment