Tuesday 11 February 2014

Illustrator Drawings; Inspiration.



This week I've been experimenting using illustrator to work with elements of my photographs to create motifs and patterns. After feeling lost last week, I feel that these elements are starting to create the flowing and organic patterns I originally wanted to achieve. I find it has worked well to have elements filled with block colour combined with areas of line. The colours are getting slightly too dark however, which I think would become overpowering within an interior context. 

Going back to the lighter tones from my oriental references, I decided to ban myself from using very dark colours, as they seem to be what I am drawn to. Having a much softer, lighter palette will be more suitable for an interior context, and also adds range to my portfolio regarding colour palettes. 



Taking away the navy, almost black shade of blue and the burgundy red has transformed the palette into a much more subtle and neutral design that I could see fitting well within a bedroom, as duvet designs or wallpaper. I'm enjoying creating these illustrator designs and think that they are working well, something which I will continue developing. I would like to create some paper designs as well, as I don't want to lose the hand painted qualities completely. 


Fig 1

Scholten & Beijings created a range of bedding designs for HAY, using a subtle colour palette and colour blocking. Their palette is very similar to the tones that I have been working with within my illustrator drawings. It is interesting to look at how Sholten & Beijings have grouped their colours together and the over laying of colour blocks, which is something that I feel could inspire how I arrange and place my colours and shapes. 



Fig 1 Scholten & Beijings. (n.d) [Online] [Accessed on 11th February 2014] <http://hayshop.dk/products/78-bed-linen/270-sb-colour-block-collection/>





No comments:

Post a Comment