Tuesday 3 December 2013

Exposed Screens.

I've been preparing my screens this week, creating two designs that could be put into a repeat. I've never done hand repeat before and only experimented with digital repeat in the past. I felt that it was important for me to have some examples of screen printed repeat in my portfolio so it shows it's a skill I have.
I'd want to be able to show that I am versatile within my designs so want to have some repeatable and some one off designs, so as to show a range within the collection.

I feel for my first attempts at repeat the prints came out well and the design worked. I've stuck to monochrome so as not distract myself again, and I felt like I was able to achieve a lot more though doing this. I've worked with a variety of heavier silks, linens and wools, to think more about what sort of fabrics would be used in a interior, particularly at the higher end market level. The linen in particular hung really well, and would be something I'd like to work with further.
I brought some foil back into the prints to link to the metallics I used in my drawings. However I think that my placement of the foil in these samples is perhaps highlighting the wrong areas and distracting from the print. The print is strong enough on it's own. Perhaps the foil would work better as a layer over the top.
I feel that the exposed line has come out much clearer than the hand painted monoprints that I experimented with previously, and has still kept the drawn mark but in a lot bolder and more defined way. I would like to expose some more designs that are non repeatable as well, to start to build up a collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment