Saturday 28 December 2013

Sofa Competition Submission.





This week I took a few days out to enter the Sofa.com competition. I wanted to enter this live brief as it stated the designs needed to inspirational and eye catching, whilst being extremely commercial.
Since I've been interested in targeting both high end and commercial market levels, I thought it would be helpful to try out another commercial brief. 
I wanted to do this with digital print, as it's something I haven't experimented too much with yet within this project. 
I changed my drawings to be put into repeat, therefore making them a much more commercially suited design. 
It was interesting to experiment with this, as the original drawings took on a completely different feel than they had originally. 



It stated within the brief that different colourways might be appropriate to have more to work with, so I experimented with different colourways in Photoshop, it's been interesting to go back to using colour again after working with mainly monochrome within my main project. Colour is something I definitely want to bring back into my project. 

 It was good to be able to work to a brief set by a company and to have a set of guidelines within the brief to work to.
Seeing print visualised has really helped, and I think that's something I definitely need to start doing within my project, just to start seeing how my prints might be applied within an interior context. Market level wise, I feel that my designs are perhaps still too extravagant for this competition and wouldn't be appropriate to the intended commercial market level. 
I have felt that within my project that I should be able to hit both market levels, but through this live project I have realised that my working style is just more appropriate to the higher levels, so instead of trying to meet both levels, I want to aim solely for the higher market level. 

No comments:

Post a Comment