Friday 20 December 2013

New Screens.

I've been experimenting with the placement of foil within my prints. I found that offsetting the foil as an all over layer underneath the print worked well. The foil didn't detract from the print, instead highlighted areas adding a shadowing effect.
This week I also exposed two more screens that aren't in repeat to add variety to my collection of prints. 
I started by experimenting with a different coloured foil, but this definitely wasn't successful as the foil stands out far too much as a contrast against the pigment print. I do however think the design as a whole came out well, and the qualities of the line are really successful at representing my original drawings. 
I went back to lead foil and worked with it in an all over layer again, as I had been experimenting with this technique earlier in the week. I wanted to work with the foil layer over the top, so that the pigment created a darker shadow underneath, adding a lot more depth to the print. I used flock with some of the prints to add texture, I felt that this would be an appropriate technique as flock is often used within interior to replicate velvet. 
I don't feel that this design is quite as successful as the previous prints, it worked better when I only took sections of it and not the design as a whole, the flowing marks seem to work better in smaller sections. I think the off setting colours worked well with these however, especially with the monochrome shades with white aquaspand layered over the top. I definitely think that the offsetting is something that I want to experiment with further, perhaps working with three tones of a colour, and moving away from monochrome again.



No comments:

Post a Comment