Thursday 22 May 2014

Evaluation.



Unit X I feel has been a short yet successful unit. Working two projects alongside each other has been a learning curve in terms of time management, trying to keep on top of both sampling, and researching new inspirations.
This is something that I managed well in the end, and I'm glad I ran both projects at the same time. I feel this allowed me enough time to develop my 'Nature Overtaking' samples fully, as well as then being able to develop a new set of research and drawings to take into the print room in the last few weeks. 

The addition of embroidery to some of my prints developed my work further and I am pleased about the outcomes that arose from the sampling. Through contextual research I found a lot of interior fabrics to use multi head embroidery techniques, so I feel this is an important addition to my portfolio. 
In terms of my portfolio I feel that my newest architecturally inspired collection has added much needed variety. I was worried that my work was becoming too similar in terms of inspiration and feel, with my other collections being very natural and organic. 
As the newest collection is much more graphic and bold, I feel that I have successfully achieved this, showing I can design with other inspirations in mind and with a different style. 
Colour is something I feel has developed again since the practice unit, and is something that I've really enjoyed using in a much bolder way, again adding more variety in terms of my portfolio. 

As Unit X has been all about the portfolio and developing work to be presented to the design world, I've taken time to contact companies about possible internships as well as creating a professional website. Sending out self promotional packages out, with samples and a CV has allowed me to gain feedback from textile companies, and although I have not yet been offered any internships, the feedback has been positive and has shown I am on the right track with my designs. 
Unit X has allowed me to think a lot more seriously about where I want to be after I graduate and think about how I can get there and how to present myself. I feel like I've really started to prepare for the textiles industry. 

For my degree show I aim to showcase I selection of my interior fabric prints, and also a length of screen printed wallpaper, which I will be printing in time for the degree show. I feel it important to hand screen print the wallpaper instead of showing one of my digital prints, as this will reflect the processes and qualities I have used throughout this year. I will be contacting a selection of interior textile companies to invite them to the show, which I hope will be useful starting point in making contacts within the textile industry. 






No comments:

Post a Comment