Monday 11 November 2013

Layout and Marks.



Fig 1. 

This week I was inspired by Mark Rothko's paintings, mainly for his use of layering with colour to create illuminating effects. I've been thinking more about layout this week and how my marks can work in a piece without covering a whole surface. I decided to create another large scale drawings whilst taking into account how I could block sections and create areas of space as Rothko has done within his paintings.

This piece as a whole was far more successful than my previous large scale drawings, this was because I wasn't focusing on creating shapes any more and I was purely looking at marks, through which I've realised that I don't need to over work things, pieces can be simple and effective with just one mark repeated. I think it's also helped in this drawing to have areas of space and colour without marks, creating a sense of depth and illumination.  

Fig 1. Mark Rothko (n.d) [Online] [Accessed on 11th November 2013] <www.wikipaintings.org>

No comments:

Post a Comment