Tuesday 12 November 2013

Monochrome Drawings.



Fig 1.

Since I've been focusing more on layout the past couple of weeks, I've been looking at Richard Long's paintings, as he uses defined shapes combined with the paint being allowed to drip and splash across the piece so is still very expressive, but with a sense of structure added. It's helped me to look at how other expressive artists lay their work out and think about composition, which I think is starting to come through in my own work this week. 

I set the aim of completing 25 drawings that explored different sets of marks to help refine my drawing and ideas.
I found this task to be very helpful, and worked well to focus my marks. I'm pleased with the body of marks generated, and feel I've created a large volume of inspiration for me to work with further in the print room. 
I think the more monochrome palette is working well, as I'm not thinking about colour and materials as much and purely thinking about what marks to create. I've also found masking off sections, in a way similar to Long,  to be effective against the expressive marks, it's quite dramatic to have a hard line in the middle to cut the marks off. 

Fig. 1 Richard Long (n.d) [Online] [Accessed on 12th November 2013] <http://www.nationalgalleries.org/whatson/368/richard-long/highlights-3783>

No comments:

Post a Comment