Monday 21 October 2013

Homebase Competition.

Final design


I decided to enter the Homebase wallpaper competition to force myself to think more about market levels, and where I could see my work fitting contextually. Homebase being at a very domestic commercial level, I thought it would be interesting to see if my work could fit, I think it's important for my designs to be adaptable and not just suited to one market level. 
I chose the brief 'Scented Garden' as I felt this was most fitting with my current project, so I could adapt some of the work I'd already been doing. The brief asked for a design in repeat, to be based on vintage florals and using light tones of colour.  I chose to use one of my original photographs from gardens to adapt digitally. 
From doing research into already existing wallpapers within the Homebase range, a lot of the prints are quite simple and motif based, as is the same with most domestic ranges of wallpapers in shops like B&Q, Next, or Ikea. 
So to be in keeping with the commercial marketplace I chose to work with a few motifs and work in simple repeat, keeping the colours tonal and not having too much going on within the design. 
I found this brief to be useful mainly because it forced me to think in a different way about how to adapt my work to certain market levels, it was also interesting to work to a short time frame, I often find that I work better under pressure, so I enjoyed the challenge.                                                     

No comments:

Post a Comment