Tuesday 15 October 2013

Drawing & Bleach.


Over the past few weeks I have been starting to create a body of drawing for my minor project, to get ideas flowing and to create a range of inspiration to work from to take into the print room.
As during the summer I had found it hard to use colour, I had stuck to a mainly monochrome palette so as not to distract from the marks in my drawing. To begin to feel more confident with the use of colour, I've decided to create colour boards throughout the project to focus on how to put colour together and how to apply colour. 

As a starting point to get away from black and white I've decided to work on coloured grounds, experimenting with different media.
Looking at hiding and revealing as one of the main ideas, I've been masking off areas with masking fluid and bleaching away sections to reveal different layers beneath.  
As I don't want the original inspiration to be obvious within the drawings I have been drawing in an expressive way, hiding the identity of the original source, so the viewer is unsure what they are looking at. 


I decided to experiment with different scales, I found it worked well to work larger as it allowed the marks to become freer, to further develop this the scale may need to be upped again to allow the marks to really flow. Different methods in applying the bleach worked well to achieve different textures and surface qualities, using a spray bottle worked particularly well to create an ombre effect. 
I've started to experiment with different papers and opacities. I found that layout paper with olive oil worked well to distort what's underneath and to also reveal sections. I'd like to develop this on a larger scale and layer up a drawing underneath so that the oil piece conceals and reveals parts.
Some of the up close studies of the objects weren't that successful as I was focusing mainly on the shape of the object, rather than the marks within, the objects need to be zoomed in on and not thought of as a whole object. The abstract drawings that create more of a surface pattern are a lot more successful at linking back to the original concept.





No comments:

Post a Comment